Although most people could never afford the racy cars their favorite celebs tool around in, it doesn’t stop us from dreaming of what it might be like to barrel down the highway in a truly exceptional automobile with the paparazzi in hot pursuit. In truth, most celebrities that have made it to the A-list don’t bother to drive themselves anywhere. You need only recall names like Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, and Nicole Ritchie to see why celebs shouldn’t be allowed behind the wheel of a car. But the truth is that most of these people simply don’t want to deal with trying to drive through hordes of photographers without running any over. So they hire drivers to do it for them. Of course, there will always be those who refuse to give up the freedom that comes with a license and wheels. Here are just a few who hit the town in some truly incredible automobiles.
- Justin Bieber. You may recall that the Biebs received a brand new car for his 18th birthday; it was, after all, presented to him during an appearance on Ellen (the Ellen DeGeneres talk show). The custom, chrome Fisker Karma (a $100,000+ e-car) would be hard to miss, and lest you think he doesn’t drive it, the teen got ticketed by police just a few weeks ago on a Los Angeles freeway for driving in excess of the speed limit. Although he blamed the incident on being chased by paparazzi, he’s still on the hook for his own part in the incident (although at least one paparazzo is being charged). Ashton Kutcher and Taylor Lautner have also embraced this sporty, green car.
- Kobe Bryant. Pro ballers are no stranger to fast cars, and Kobe Bryant continues that tradition with his uber-cool transportation, the Lamborghini Aventador. This car looks like nothing so much as a slick, low-slung version of the latest Batmobile (the car Bruce Wayne might drive when not playing the caped crusader). And one can only wonder how Bryant squeezes his 6’6″ frame into the tiny two-seater.
- Miley Cyrus. Nobody would have expected this pop starlet/actress to drive a car as sensible as the Porsche Cayenne, but it turns out that plenty of celebs have adopted the high-end SUV (including Reese Witherspoon and Sharon Stone). Further, it may be the most affordable car on this list (although with a starting price of over $50K it’s probably still a bit on the pricy side for the average driver).
- Simon Cowell. This British import is a fan of Italian cars, it seems, because he has been known to get from here to there in a gorgeous Ferrari 458. Although this car may be best known for the fact that it is prone to bursting into flames (it grabbed a lot of headlines for this unfortunate proclivity shortly after its launch), it has also caught the attention of several celebs (including hip-hop artist Akon and MotoGP champ Valentino Rossi) thanks to a gorgeous design and the power of 570 horses under the hood.
- Jay Leno. When it comes to celebrity car collectors, few can boast as many rare automobiles as the host of The Tonight Show (although Jerry Seinfeld and Ralph Lauren are definitely contenders). If he were to donate his collection he would have to rent a caravan of semi trucks to take it to the museum. And included in the lineup would be such beauties as a Stanley Steamer (talk about a hot car), a Bugatti Veyron, and a slew of Doozies (those would be Duesenbergs), just to name a few.