No one can deny that celebrities have access to the hottest trends, not to mention stylists that help them to put together ensembles that are on target for the season. For this reason, the fashionistas among us often turn to celebs to spot the latest styles that are setting the bar. Often they’re fantastic, but there are always a few that leave the collective public scratching their heads. In any case, here are some of the accessories that celebs seem to be wearing in spades this season. You might want to be choosy when it comes to the trends you adopt.
- Scarves, hats, and gloves. The traditional matching sets are far from trendy, and celebs that want to look stylish steer clear of these old-school tropes. Many opt instead for lightweight leather gloves in super-soft lambskin, although stars that actually live in wintry climes seem keen on bulky, fingerless gloves of late. Scarves this year seem to be a bit liberal than years past in terms of size, with large, soft knits dominating, but the double loop style persists. And as for hats, beanies are out, having been replaced by a growing culture of retro haberdashery that includes everything from cloches to fedoras.
- Tights. California causal dictates that Hollywood and Malibu dwellers skip the nylons, hose, and tights throughout the year in favor of waxed legs and open-toed pumps, but the cooler climes of winter (60 degrees is sweater weather) provide for a nice respite. As soon as the deluge of winter rain hits Hollywood proper you can see starlets out and about in patterned nylons and opaque options to go with their ankle booties. A favorite of celebs on the go seems to be opaque, black tights.
- Boots. No matter where you live, winter is boot weather, and celebrities embrace this trend with aplomb. They wear them high with over-the-knee styles or low enough to graze the bottom of their ankles, and the uber trendy this year are opting for footwear that looks like it came straight from the prairie of the Dust Bowl era with distressed leather and plenty of lacings. Also popular are western touches like calfskin and ornamental stitching. Fur is big, as well, but in small doses around the top of the boot, the tongue, or even lining the straps.
- Capes. What is up with all of the voluminous jackets this year? It seems the stars have made a mass exodus from form-fitting trenches and traditional pea coats, opting instead for swirling capelets that bundle them in folds of fabric. Perhaps they’re hiding baby bumps or a few extra pounds. But whatever the case, the style seems to have spread like wildfire. And with options ranging from sophisticated blacks, browns, and grays to saturated jewel tones and even fur (hopefully faux), you’re bound to see plenty of capes gracing the pages of celebrity publications this winter.
- Shades. Celebs trying to dodge the paparazzi have long relied on their shades to hide away, so the designer frames at sites like Eyeglasses 123 are a must for many stars in their daily lives. Plus, those that call sunny SoCal home may actually have practical use for this accessory throughout the year. So if you want to mimic the winter ensembles of your favorite stars, simply throw on a cape, don a floppy hat, and hide behind your shades. It appears that lumpy, frumpy, hobo chic is fairly on trend this season.