The sun is high in the sky and everyone is taking time off work to vacation and enjoy the balmy weather of summertime. And you’ve no doubt prepared for days by the lake, out on the boat, or hiking through the woods by picking up a few new tank tops and pairs of shorts, plenty of sunblock, a portable cooler, and a gallon of bug spray. However, it’s also important to protect your eyes from the UV glare that is prevalent this time of year, and you definitely want to do it in style. So if you’re looking for some killer shades to help you get through the summer of 2013, here are a few trends in eyewear that are sure to have you looking awesome and seeing perfectly.
- Retro specs. If you’re sick to death of spending beaucoup bucks on whatever designer shades the celebs are sporting this season, then you’re in luck – retro glasses of every stripe are back with a vengeance. Whether you’re into the cat glasses that dominated the fifties, you like the aviators that were popular in the ’70s, or ’80s wayfarers are more your speed, there is a retro pair of sunglasses out there calling your name. So dig through the attic for some old frames that belonged to your parents or grandparents, hit up the nearest vintage store, or surf the web for some oldies but goodies. You can get them at a great price and simply replace the lenses as needed.
- Pastel hues. If you’re looking for an update on older trends, you can’t go wrong with some of the many pastel-hued options available at every price point. Hit up Claire’s Boutique for some $5 wayfarers in mint green or baby pink or shell out a few dollars more for Vera Wang Cosma shades (just over a hundred bucks) with their pink-to-taupe fade and rosy lenses.
- Smaller lenses. The bug-eyed stunners of the last few seasons have slowly given way to smaller and smaller pairs of shades. Your sunglasses are no longer required to cover half your face; you can now get shades that basically cover the circumference of your eye socket. This is great news for anyone who likes to don a hip fedora with their specs (or hates the tan lines made by a huge pair of glasses).
- Translucent frames. One of the hottest trends for summer 2013 is frames that are colored but see-through. A milky translucence seems to be the big ticket of the season, so skip the clear plastic and go for a frame that is slightly more opaque. And if you find one hue to be a bit boring, seek out pairs that have abstract swirls of color or even calico patterns.
- Google Glass. If you were lucky enough to get your hands on these computerized, connected specs, then summer is a great time to show them off. You won’t find these hot commodities at your average seasite lens infos pages, but you’ll certainly be the belle of the ball if you manage to nab a pair to wear for the summer. Just be prepared to field plenty of questions from friends who forgot their smartphones.