Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
These days, it is rare for someone to not have a gadget or two on their person. People now see the purchase of such devices, whether it is a laptop computer, smartphone, tablet, or some other device, as a necessity instead of a perk. These devices however don’t come cheap and, if you don’t take care of them, you may find yourself spending even more money on a replacement.
So how do you prolong the life and usability of your gadgets to avoid this kind of scenario? Is there any way for you to ensure that these do not suffer damage in your hands? What should you do to make these devices last for as long as they should?
In This Post:
Taking Care of Your Gadgets the Right Way
The most important thing to keep in mind when prolonging the lifespan of your gadgets and gizmos is to take proper care of them. To help you out, here are a few tips and tricks that you can use.
Keep them clean
Cleaning your gadgets can help make them last longer. Dust and dirt accumulation can actually affect the performance of your device, not to mention make it look disgusting. To keep them clean though, you need to use the right tools to ensure that these don’t get scratched up. Whether you are trying to clean off gunk from your keyboard or trying to remove fingerprint marks on a tablet, using the right cleaning materials is a must if you want these to remain unscratched. Some of the cleaning tools you can use to do these include the following:
- Canned air – also called compressed air, canned air is one of the few tools that computer technicians rely on when they need to remove dust and gunk from the delicate electronics that they are repairing. You can use this same tool to remove any hard-to-remove dirt from your laptop keyboard and from other hard to reach places.
- Microfiber wipes – another essential tool you cannot do without when you want to keep your gadgets clean is the microfiber wipe. These fine cloths are great for wiping off fingerprints and gunk from your gadgets since these do not scratch at all. If your tablet or smartphone has some hard-to-remove, dried-on dirt on it, all you need to do is to spritz some water on your cloth before wiping the dirt off. Microfiber wipes are easy enough to find, but if you don’t know where you can buy microfiber cloth, a quick search online can easily do the trick.
- Use Q-tips for nooks and crannies – for those small cracks and crevices on your gadgets, a Q-tip can help do the trick. You can also use these cotton-tipped sticks to clean out holes like those you use for your headphones, USB ports, lightning ports, and the like.
Charge your devices the right way
Another problem that seems to plague gadget owners is the longevity of their batteries. There are many reasons why batteries start to die and don’t retain their charge over time, and this is due to the way you charge them. Here are some battery charging tips you should try to help extend the life of your device batteries:
- Don’t let your batteries get to zero before charging – some people wait for their batteries to hit 0% before plugging these in. This is a mistake. If you want your device batteries to last, always charge these before they reach the 10% mark. This will help your batteries last longer and can help reduce the number of discharge cycles it experiences.
- Don’t overcharge – another mistake people make with their devices is overcharging. Keeping your device plugged in and at 100% for extended periods of time will also damage your battery. When your battery reaches 100%, remove it immediately from the source of power. It is even better if you unplug it at a little under 100%.
- Use the right chargers – you should also make sure that you use the right charger for your specific device. There is a reason why gadgets you buy come with different chargers, and this is to ensure that they are charged right. These are optimized for use with the specific device it was made for and comes with voltage control mechanisms suited to your gadget. For the best deal, buy wholesale iPhone chargers.
These are just a few of the things you can do to make sure that your gadgets don’t deteriorate faster than they should. Simply follow these tips, take good care of your devices, and use them the way they should be used. That way, you won’t have to worry about the need to shell out huge amounts of cash for a replacement anytime soon. If you’re in the market for an upgrade, you might want to check out this recommended laptop for artists in 2020.